Saturday, May 22, 2010

Where This Is Leading

I think I know where I want to take this. I have had a couple of conversations via email with Newburgh Restoration, and she has been a wealth of inspiration and has helped keep me focused on what the ultimate goal is. We all want to see Newburgh be all it can be and she has managed to remind me of all that. She has managed to reawaken the passion I have for this, and her blog makes me want to be there more, and she even has me thinking about what I want to do next, since this project has more or less been completed. I say "more or less" because I feel a house is never complete.

You might think a project of this size is complete once you get your Certificate of Occupancy, but that is only the beginning. If you're in this as a quick way to get rich, this may not be the sort of thing for you, you need to have a love for these sort of things. I believe a house is never complete, because there are always little things you can do to make it that much nicer, things need to be maintained (or you're back where we're starting from with a run down place in the neighborhood), and there are always new ideas churning inside.

My goal here is to give you an idea of what's involved, but nothing along the lines of a how-to manual. I want to help you see what something can be instead of what it is, and be a source of encouragement. I pride myself in being straight forward, will say things how I see them, and don't believe in sugar-coating things. They may be unfounded or just my opinion; if you feel I'm wrong or misinformed, call me out on it. Being that we were practically starting from scratch, I feel its safe to say I've gotten to experience most of what is involved regarding a full rehab of a structure. What I want to provide is a little insight on what to expect and at the same time encourage you to see it through. The key is having a vision and perseverance. It may take a lot of time and resources, but after going through it all, I say it was worth it. I'm ready to take on another one, its only a matter of time until we find the one that is just right for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment